I had a lot of fun with this project, mainly because it dealt with Photoshop. And also I did some illustrative work and incorporated it into the infographic assignment. Photoshop is great if you want a variety of color choices, as seen in a previous post. Although, on a PC, the color is a lot duller than on a Mac.
I guess before I get too involved with the attributes, I should go over what the research is about. Basically, our class is doing a bit of research on infographics for our next assignment, which deals with t-shirt designs I believe? So, here we are, looking at the picture above as if it has any relevance to what we're doing other than the fact that it says "infographics."
I cannot say that I was overly thrilled about going to this artist lecture. For one, it was completely last minute. Well, when I say "last minute," I mean the fact that the school did not advertise for Phillip Andrew Lewis as they had with the previous artist, Mark Dion. So it did not shock me when I walked into the auditorium and practically found it empty (only a couple of rows were filled). So my initially impression was lowered just by noticing my surroundings. Honestly, this is a slap to Lewis's face who took the time to come to the school (he's an alumni for crying out loud) and then do his lecture to a couple of rows of people whereas other visiting artists practically had the auditorium packed!
Remember the project I did a couple of weeks ago? The papercraft project? Well, I thought that was done and over with, but then again I've been known to get proven wrong: this is one of them.
Actually this current project seems like it'll be a nice break from the previous projects since it isn't as heavy. We're using the made papercraft dolls and creating a, that's right, movie poster! I'm not going to lie, but I was stuck for the longest time! Then there was a particular scene that really helped me out on this. It's still under construction, but I'll explain parts of my process on this (currently being made) movie poster.
Her online name is Whitefoxcub (derived from her grandmother's pen name). I had met her in a Livestream a couple years ago (between my freshman and sophomore year of high school). I'm not 100% sure what attracted me to her Livestream - I think it was because of her old artwork that had revolved around Legend of Zelda. She was making her spin-off series called "Legend of Zelda: Sundial of Shadows," animating the story as she was going to college. And over the years, what's fascinating would have to be her progression on how her style changes.
1. The layout for the foot is messed up. When one is folding it, it doesn't exactly fit the way that it was supposed to.
2. The balance is off if you do not put anything in the feet and legs. I was working on another project at the time, and I stuffed the left over tape by rolling up the pieces of used tape and cut it in half in the feet and legs.
3. I forgot to say that one has to cut the legs on the side without tabs in a triangular shape (I will insert a picture later to show what I mean)
4. The hair is a mess to do. Be prepared to throw your hands in the air in frustration because that's all the hair really brings.
5. When assembling this piece, there will be two main separate parts: the upper half and the lower half. Make sure that both pieces are balanced separately and then mess around with the balance of the them combined.
There is a progress post about this project if anyone wants to read about the whole process.
When I sat in the auditorium, I wasn't sure what to expect. I had heard about Mark Dion through the handouts they have at the front desk in Memphis College of Art, or MCA. I saw how he was an installation artist, but everything else was a blur. And I had missed his reception before the actual lecture, so they skimmed through his background in a monotone voice. However, I was surprisingly pleased with what I saw.
So, the next project is dealing with paper craft, which is actually sort of fun if you just print it out and have someone else's design. HOWEVER, that's not part of the assignment. Well, actually it sort of it. It was our homework to research someone else's design and then use that as influence in order to create our own designs. The pig above, unfortunately, is not part of my design. But it was actually fairly simple to make! (So if you guys want a bunch of Wind Waker pigs in your house, there are three different designs waiting to be made!)