Pages

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Gotta Show Some Cool Photoshop Artists

Warning: This is going to be a long post.

Isobel Kelly
Her online name is Whitefoxcub (derived from her grandmother's pen name). I had met her in a Livestream a couple years ago (between my freshman and sophomore year of high school). I'm not 100% sure what attracted me to her Livestream - I think it was because of her old artwork that had revolved around Legend of Zelda. She was making her spin-off series called "Legend of Zelda: Sundial of Shadows," animating the story as she was going to college. And over the years, what's fascinating would have to be her progression on how her style changes.


In her earlier works, I loved her gradient shading mixed with the bold cell shading. But then, as her style changes, her shading did too, to a much softer, subtle type.
She rendered this digitally, which is remarkable because people think that she has done this with traditional material. The lines aren't clearly defined as they once were and her digital painting looks like a watercolor painting. I'm interested in tricking the eye like this, where I use digital media and make it look like a traditional media. I'm also interested in Issy's shading.

Michelle Czajkowski (or the creator of Ava's Demon)
Her style is just phenomenal! I remember reading a list of comics that said is a "must read," and this comic is definitely one of them. She has a whimsical, child-story style in her illustrations. Her pictures radiate with each character as well as knowing that she does not have to use definitive lines. Here is her work progress:
I love how she shades as well as her color choices. She doesn't stick strictly with her sketch, she uses it as a guideline. I love the addition of the rosy cheeks as well as the shift in her magma skin. She just makes everything so smooth without ruining the contrast and shading.
Her environments have a great variety that it's just, I don't have words for it. From the futuristic principal's office to these:
Find more at her blog here
Just a great variety of environments that has so much detail and texture. I would love to learn how she does line-less art and how she gets this radiating glow from objects (such as the lava in the last picture or the city in the first picture).

Aurelien Police
What really captured my attention with this artist would have to be the flow. It seems that he takes images and melts them together, but I'm not 100% sure if he uses Photoshop or not. On his "About" page, it says:
  "He uses computer as melting pot to mix up all sorts of raw materials, erasing the frontiers between all possible media so as to provide his pictures with a graphic finishing of his own. Flirting with various themes -often associated with fantasy, detective or supernatural- allows him to translate in pictures his own personal vision of those genres.
Here are a of couple images that I first saw:
It would be cool to do photo manipulation like these pieces where they create/resemble another form.

Sam Nielson
Before I mention anything about this artist, I'm going to show you guys a picture:
Pretty cool 3D modeling, right?
WRONG
The process shows how he paints and makes it look like a 3D rendering. That is a rad technique that I really want to try out sometime.
Here are some other pieces of his work:

Ellis Q. Clark Jr.
I love his sketches and his progress pictures. They're incomplete, but they have been rendered to a degree.
Quick rendering before going to bed
Another quick rendering
Progress on a project

I love how his sketches are: how they clearly define the light and shadow as well and emphasize certain areas. But his rendering is so cleanly done.


Some other cool artists
YamYamiShin
Mahons
Landy Andria
Qing Han

No comments:

Post a Comment