Pages

Saturday, February 7, 2015

Character Practice

20 different silhouettes


Number 10

Number 9

Creating characters has always been fun for me. But I never exactly created characters using the silhouette method. So, the hardest part was not actually drawing the character. That part was easy. No, the hard part was coming up with different silhouettes, which sounds absurd, but hear me out. There are so many possibilities that one can do when combining shapes. An infinite amount. But the hard part wasn't so much the endless possibilities as much as if it would accentuate the art period I was going for (mainly 4th and 8th century Mayan art).

Drawing a character from the silhouette was the easy part, for me at least. I wish I could explain what goes through my head as I drew these characters, but really, I just sort of went along with the shape of the silhouette. The color choices were also drawn from 4th and 8th century Mayan art, from wall paintings to pottery.

6 comments:

  1. I love the intense detail on your characters. I like your choice in rectangular and curve lines as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the intense detail on your characters. I like your choice in rectangular and curve lines as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your character designs! Your variety in silhouette is very great! I like that you used a silhouette that wasn't human or humanlike in appearance! I also think the color palettes you chose work really well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice line work and coloring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a lot of good line variation and style in the finished drawings. Maybe add some highlights or values that show some kind of light or reflection on the second image. It looks like the character is wearing sturdy metal armor, and the dark colors start to blend a lot to where I can't see small details that are in the legs.


    Also I see that lil booty x there ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your characters and how well you used both your research and the silhouette technique.

    ReplyDelete